Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Welcome, Second Life Students!

Welcome, Spring 2008 Students!

I hope that all of my students understand this Web journal assignment. If not, they may certainly ask questions here to clarify what exactly it is that I'd like for them to do.

First of all, the blogs are a place for students to interact with one another outside of Second Life. If a student has questions about completing an assignment, then he/she might write about how things are going thus far on the blog. My hope is that each student will find two or three other blog buddies and comment on their blogs. This way, if there are questions about an assignment, students can help one other by sharing ideas.

Research shows that meaningful learning takes place when learners are given the opportunity to reflect on learning experiences. Reflection is just a process of connecting new information to things that you already have stored in your brain. When you tie things together, you are more likely to remember them and use them later. Blogging is a good way to do this kind of reflection. (In fact, I do a lot of that myself on my personal blog. You should see some of the boring academic stuff I wrote when I had two classes this summer, lol.)

The more your write, the easier it gets to write. Additionally, the better your writing becomes. Blogging is kind of like weight training for the writing part of your brain.

My requirement for the blog is one post per week (can be on the personal or the team blog) per student. My expectation is that the posts demonstrate reflection on the activities we are doing in class. My hope is that students will branch out and comment on one another's blogs, helping one another through assignments. It's amazing how many ideas you can get on your own just by hearing other people's thoughts on a topic. Each post is worth ten points.

So, should you have any questions, please feel free to leave them as comments here. Happy blogging!

No comments: